Back to search

Frank Thomas


Frank William Thomas

Inducted 1951

Date of Birth



Muncie, IN


University of Alabama (1931-1942)

University of Alabama (1944-1946)

University of Tennessee-Chattanooga (1925-1928)


Alabama's long line of great coaches did not begin with Paul "Bear Bryant. Frank Thomas played quarterback at Notre Dame 1920-22 and roomed with George Gipp. Knute Rockne called Thomas "his smartest player." He went to Georgia as an assistant coach 1923-24, then worked as head coach at Chattanooga 1925-1928 and Alabama 1931-1942, 1944-1946. (Alabama had no team in 1943). His record at Chattanooga was 26-9-2, at Alabama 108-20-7. Overall, he was 134-29-9, a winning percentage of .805. His Alabama teams were 5-1 in bowl games (Rose, Sugar, Cotton and Orange Bowls). Among the famous Alabama players he coached were Don Hutson, Bear Bryant, Vaughn Mancha, Harry Gilmer, Johnny Cain and Riley Smith. Thomas was a solid coach who claimed material was 60% of the game. The coach's knowledge, ability to impart it to the players, his organization of practices and his personality accounted for the other 40% of the game. "Keep the players high," he insisted, "and make practice a pleasure but not a lark. Be a disciplinarian, but not a slave-driver."


Wins 141

Losses 33

Ties 9

Icon Tickets

Secure your tickets now and be apart of the legacy. Don’t miss the chance to experience greatness firsthand!

Icon Membership

Unlock exclusive access and be part of something legendary. Join our community and enjoy premium benefits today!

Icon Shop

Take a piece of greatness home. Shop our exclusive collection of themed items and preserve the legacy in your own way!